I suggest...

Boolean operations

Ability to select two shapes and perform a boolean operation on them, such as subtract and union.

19 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Марсель ИшимбаевМарсель Ишимбаев commented  · 

Sometimes this feature is needed badly.

Especially, AND operator (or intersection), since OR is there as a trivial overlapping of shapes with the same orientation while opposite orientation yields XOR-ish (only for two shapes - and effectively unachievable for odd number of them).

"Boolean" approach as-it-is seems to be incompatible with the current paradigm of the program.

Below I suggest limited version of the former which will not contradict the latter)))

Consider two overlapping circles (i.e. classic Venn diagram). Windings do not matter! The idea is that a boolean operation creates new independent shape (or shapes) - result of operation while destroying the operands (or shapes-"parents"): AND operator on them will yield a shape that was the overlapping part, OR is practically the same as overlapping while keeping the same orientation and then combining the shapes, XOR will produce two independent moon-like shapes as they have in common only one point. (It's fun to think about result of such XOR on three circles arranged in Venn diagram). This approach will solve potential problem of "ghost" shapes, when shapes don't intersect but AND is applied to them and they supposed to be... invisible? In my approach AND would produce no shape in this case as the "parents" would be destroyed after the operation. It also will allow users create exotic and beautiful shapes naturally.

I hope dev will revisit the request

Feedback and Knowledge Base