I suggest...

The ability to add background image.

Say, you've drawn character on a piece of paper and want to make something similar in editor. It would be much easier to do stuff if you could drag and drop photo of the character to the background of the main content area and then be guided by it through out the work. Of course, you should be able to adjust it according to grid.

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Марсель Ишимбаев shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminGlyphr Studio (The Head Honcho, Glyphr Studio) commented  · 

I've worked with another client-side JS project where they Base-64 encode images and include them with the .txt saved project file. Very possible - but HTML5 local storage (and, hence, saved JSON files in .txt format) usually have a 5MB data size limit. This can be reached very quickly with 1000px PNG files, for example. Downsampling may be a solution(?)

At any rate, a good first step is to allow placing images for tracing without saving to the project file - this would at least allow for part of the scenario to be met.

Saving non-txt files would require a server-side service, or would be way more costly to figure out the details :-) Everything comes down to cost, and how valuable the new feature is.

Thank you for your input!

• Марсель Ишимбаев commented  · 

Admin, it depends. I could think of three alternatives:
        1) (You suggested, unlikely) To add images to txt-file. Consider an extreme case when every unique character has a background image. If the latter are HQ increase in the size of the save file is unavoidable. If they are compressed converting them may cause additional problems. That also would ruin the aesthetic of the current code-like format.
        2) (You suggested, better then nothing) To upload images every time one reopens a project. This is more preferable if you want to stick with txt format. But doing it every time would be unhumanly boring and might look like incomplete a feature. Pro: format remains transparent.
        3) (My idea, somewhat crazy) To create new (adapt existing) container fileformat for project. This will be a challenge (read: headache) to figure out and program. Will it pay out? Container can still clean instructions (as in current save file) as well as visual information and smth else - who knows what features will appear in future development? - this format likely will allow you to add them from time to time. But... yeah - bye, transparency.
        This is it. Other ideas (to store images and txt-instructions in indepedent files, to put links to images to code in form of full path to them on computer) don't seem to be rational to me.
        The last word is yours))

• AdminGlyphr Studio (The Head Honcho, Glyphr Studio) commented  · 

It may be possible to save these images to the Glyphr Studio project file (.txt) - but it may drastically increase the size of the save file. Would that matter?

Or do you think you could just place the image, trace it, and not worry about saving it as part of the project?

Feedback and Knowledge Base